Colic is not fun for the baby or the parents. Seeing your baby wail without being able to do much of anything is not a fun parent experience. You want to do everything that you can to take away the pain, but sometimes it seems next to impossible.
Although the following remedies may not work for you, as each baby is different, I think this is a good place to start. I have curated a list of remedies that have successfully helped me, and even some of my close ones to deal effectively with colic in babies. Here are a few ways to comfort and ease a baby with colic:
- Adjust your baby’s milk: No matter if you are breastfeeding or formula feeding, adjusting your baby’s milk can help bring about a huge change. Consult your paediatrician about which milk option is the best if you are formula feeding. If you are breastfeeding it is important to take a step back and analyse your own diet. Try removing caffeine, onions, spicy foods or any other such items which can be irritating to the stomach. Adding something like chamomile to your diet can be beneficial to you as well as your baby. Thus, it is quite important for you to take care of your own diet and not to slack off too much (though it can be tempting when you’re sleep deprived).
- Use anti-colic bottles: Anti-colic bottles help minimise the amount of air that the baby takes in during each feeding, as air ingestion leads to the tummy being upset. These bottles are designed to help prevent spit-up, gas and fussiness. For babies with acid reflux, there are even special formulas that can be paired up with these bottles to help minimise their discomfort. Give these a try if you are at a loss of what to do when your baby keeps on crying nonstop.
- Swaddling: Babies are comforted when they are swaddled. Soft blankets can be used for swaddling or you can use ones with Velcro that are specifically made for swaddling babies. They are easy to use on the go and babies won’t be able to get out of it easily. You will have a cute baby burrito and a wailing free home in no time!
- Changing the diaper more frequently: Some babies cannot handle being wet even for a few seconds and start wailing immediately. Changing their diaper more frequently brings about quite a bit of improvement. However, diapers can be quite expensive. You can opt for cloth ones as they can be used and re-used many times and will save quite a bit of your money.
- Try baby wearing: This remedy also comes with the added bonus of keeping your hands free to use! Babies love to be held close to your chest, it’s warm and comforting to them. Baby wraps keep them snug and tight around your chest and keep your hands free. Now, you can complete most of your housework while cuddling with your soothed and content baby.